Saturday 20 December 2014

The Greatest Gift

Hello Lovelies!
Thank you all for the comments on my last post and also for all of the very useful suggestions on how I could improve on my angel. You've all given me a lot to think about and inspired me not to give up on perfecting this festive project. 

I mentioned last post that I only had 4 days left at work before I fly home to England! Well... now I only have 2!! The count down is well and truly underway and the anticipation of seeing all of my family is verging on being too much for me! 

Earlier in the week,  I received my first Christmas card of the year. What a special card it was,
full of Christmas cheer. It warmed my heart!


Now those of you that have read my previous posts and followed me for a while will know that 90% of the time I stick to blogging about my projects, but every now and then I get a little sentimental and a little personal. This is one of those personal occasions, so I'd stop reading now if you don't want to hear any of my sentiments. 

This Christmas card was extra special because it featured two little penguins sharing a kiss. Two boy penguins! Special, because it was blatant acknowledgment of the relationship that I have with Dennis. 

Here's the card in full:
Isn't it sweet!!


So here's why the card means so much to me!
Firstly it's the first gay Christmas card I have ever received!
Secondly it's from my Mum and Dad.
I hope my parents don't mind me telling you this ... but when I first came out to my Mum as being gay, she had an extremely hard time coming to terms with it.
A few years have passed since then and I can honestly say that both of my parents are totally cool with their gay son. In fact they couldn't care a less.
They see how happy I am with Dennis, they realise that with Dennis, they have gained an extra member to their (already) wonderful family! How could that be a bad thing!
They have gone full circle and fully embrace Dennis and I. For that I am grateful and extremely proud of my Mum and Dad!

Finally to top it off, This year I finally plucked up the courage to tell my Nan and my Grandma that I am gay. Enough was enough, I was tired of lying to them that, telling them the reason I didn't have a girlfriend was because my career was my priority. (yeah right!)
They were missing out on a huge part of my life and I was saddened by that. They now know about Dennis and were totally unfazed by my "coming out",  in fact, they didn't care.
They told me that it only mattered that I lead a happy life!  Which....is true. Happiness is the key!
So this year I go home for Christmas and  for the first time Dennis.
My grandparents will meet him (finally) as my boyfriend and we will all celebrate Christmas together.
Happy with no secrets.
This card is a symbol of that and that's greatest gifts I could ever have imagined to receive! Thanks Mum and Dad for the perfect card!

This post has moved!
You can read an updated and revised version on our new blog.

Click here to read this post in full at it's new home!

51 comments:

  1. What a touching and wonderful post! So lovely to read! I hope you and Denis have an extra special Christmas this year! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parents giving love and that's exactly how it should be! Cheers for a wonderful Christmas with your family and I look forward to your blog entries in the New Year. You are one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a very very loving family. Take care of them. May all of you have a very wonderfull Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy for you! Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joyeux Noel et Bon dout d'An a vous! And have a very beautiful Christmas with all the peolpe you Love....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very happy for you, it's such a pity that it becomes such a big deal it really isn't. You have to live a happy life and be kind and sounds like you are doing both things. Happy Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely, inspirational post. Enjoy your time with your wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really happy for you. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful card and that's great that things are going so well for you! Happiness is the key word you are right!Have an exceptional holiday!AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful! Enjoy your Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's nothing like the feeling of complete acceptance Matt! I know it must mean the world to you. I wish you and Dennis a wonderful Christmas surrounded by those you cherish most...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that is a beautiful love story! I am so happy for you!
    Merry Christmas!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  13. Utterly fantastic! That is the best Christmas story I've heard!!!!!!!!
    Have a wonderful time! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Woo hoo.. how wonderful! You have a terrific family and grandmums! I look forward to seeing photos of all of your family enjoying meeting Dennis. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
    *M*E*R*R*Y* *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww! Your lovely post brought me out of lurkdom to say how very happy I am for you both! There is nothing worse than having to hide stuff from people you love. And they are lucky to have you for sons. Have a wonderful Christmas together. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is going to enrich your whole life. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How wonderful Matt!! I'm so pleased for you and Dennis and very happy that you will sharing Christmas together with your family, obviously you are very much loved. I am a registrar and as part of my job am privileged to perform same sex marriages. I'm not hinting or anything! , just saying what a joy it is when two people who are meant to be together seal their relationship in a legal way - regardless of whether they are gay or straight!!
    Merry Christmas, love the card :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! Have a fantastic Christmas with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh dear, crying at your post! Isn't it funny how approval from loved ones is soooo important?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Truly beautiful. I can understand wholeheartedly why the card means so much to you. Have a wonderful Xmas back here in the UK, with your family and Dennis. Px

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful story :-) I wish you a very merry Christmas with ALL your loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Matt you have brought a tear to me eye. What wonderful news, have a fabulous Christmas with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a happy story of unconditional love, and what a cool card!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So happy for you both. Have a wonderful Christmas!
    Penny
    x

    ReplyDelete
  25. A real Christmas story! So happy you shared it with all of us. In this troubled world where most of what we hear is all bad------it helps to know that still so much that is good. All that really matters in our lives is to love and be loved! Love to you and Dennis and I know that it will be the best Christmas ever!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Can I admit to getting a bit misty-eyed reading this post? Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you, Dennis and the rest of your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. May this be the first of many as a united family. So glad you have a loving and accepting family. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations! Love yourself and I wish you a verry happy Christmas. Love from the Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  29. A post very exciting! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and emotions. His parents are good parents and you a great son. I'm happy for you and your partner Denis. I wish you much love and Merry Christmas from Catalonia! A big hug!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year...Gaia.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Matt, I think you are good person and I am happy for you both! Have a wonderful Christmas with all your family!

    ReplyDelete
  32. That is so sweet! I wish you all a wonderful, wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This post made me smile. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with Dennis and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  34. this made me really happy. have an awesome christmas with your whole family! xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hello Matt, I am very happy for you and sorry that this is still an issue. I hope that someday no one will feel shame about being gay. It's just who you are and it's not something you choose. I'm glad that your parents love you and I am glad that you can be open with your family. Have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Such a sweet card, and a really beautiful story. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas, surrounded by those you love most.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This was an amazing post and made me so happy for you. You are a talented, lovely man and only deserve love and happiness in your life. I would be proud to have you as my son.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Merry Christmas! What a special card, and how wonderful that you can celebrate the holidays with your family and with Dennis! Hope you have a lovely time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a sweet card :-). Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Awesome Christmas card and awesome parents! Really awesome post, as well! Just awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Merry Christmas Matt and Dennis, from North Carolina, USA. I wish you both every happiness. What a sweet post!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  42. Love, the greatest gift indeed... wish you an Dennis a lovely life together. So nice of your parents to send you such a special card. It is really wonderful when family and friends allow you to be and love you just the same, whatever choices you make :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. I cried when I read this post... Such a lovely story and no fairy tale! Bless you both!

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a wonderful post and I really hope you all had a magical time together! Here's to many more Christmases together... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  45. Happy for you! Feliz Año Nuevo from Puerto Rico :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. HI Mat I enjoyed reading your post. I think you have a wonderful mum and dad. I wish you and Dennis a beautiful Christmas:D
    Stefania

    ReplyDelete
  47. What a lovely post Matt, I hope you had a lovely Christmas! x

    ReplyDelete
  48. What a wonderful post. You have a fab family, Matt and you must feel so liberated and at peace... I am happy for you. Have a healthy and super happy 2015!!! Pati xx

    ReplyDelete
  49. Wow ... What an amazing gift and how sentimental and important that was for you both. I'm so happy for you and for your family. Embracing and accepting your children's choice makes it also for a great person and one that can show their love truly unconditionally ... And that is a gift ... For you and for them.
    Hoping 2015 will bring you even more Happiness. Cheers to 2015!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment!